5, Splaiul Independentei, Bucharest, Romania
The Palace of Justice is a major historichal monument of Bucharest. The scope of the works was to reestablish the initial image of the Palace of Justice, build between 1890-1895, designed by the French architect Albert Ballu, son of Teodore Ballu, the designer of the Paris City Hall. The building, considered to be a historical monument, suffered three major earthquakes, this is why it needed consolidation works, demolition and its rebuild with reinforced concrete, framework change, and total roof rebuilding. It was also necessary to rebuild the entire section of the interior yards without modifying the historical image of the facades. An important element of the works was the treatment against biological attacks, for the carpentry elements and facades.
The wood restoration works consisted in the restoration of 1890 massive oak doors, of the panels from the 14 Judgment Halls and the oak decorative elements. The restoration of the "Lost Steps Hall", with 27 meters height framed by marble columns, pylons and marble stairs with a total surface of 1.800 sqm as well as a new granite floor represented a novelty by its complexity and work dimension. ACMS participated in the international tender for this project as part of a Joint Venture with Bouygues (55% Bouygues – 45% ACMS GC). The contract was awarded in 2003.